General Health Services

College Nurse

Your first port of call for minor health problems is the College Nurse, Sandra Wollner. She can be found on the ground floor in between Staircases 7 and 8 in Chapel Quad, and during term-time she will be there at the following times:

  • Monday 8.30am-9.30am
  • Tuesday 3.30am-4.30pm
  • Wednesday 11.15am-12.15pm
  • Thursday 8.30am-9.30am
  • Friday 11.15am-12.15pm

College Doctor

Alternatively, you can go to the College Doctor, Dr Gordon Gancz. He is a general practitioner whose surgery is found at 9 King Edward Street (which is just the other side of the High Street from Lincoln, so very nearby). You can make an appointment with him during the hours 8.30-11.00am or 4.00-6.30pm Monday to Friday, by calling 01865 242657.

You are allowed to register with a different surgery in Oxford if you prefer, but most Lincoln students go to the 9 King Edward Street practice. Outside of surgery hours, you can still call the same number and you will be put through to the duty doctors.

Freshers will be sent a health questionnaire and a form for registering with Dr Gancz’s surgery before their arrival (the questionnaire is confidential and won’t affect your application – it’s just that it can take a few weeks to get your medical notes transferred, so it’s useful for Dr Gancz to have some information about medical history just in case you get ill in the first few weeks you’re at Lincoln).

Other Health Services

Hospital/Accident and Emergency

John Radcliffe Hospital in Headington. You can get there by bus (Number 13 or X13 from High Street, outside Queens College) or taxi, or if neither of these is possible, by calling 999 from any landline or mobile phone and asking for an ambulance.

NHS Direct

If you are not sure whether you need to go to A&E for a particular problem, or have an urgent medical question, you may find NHS Direct useful – they offer a 24-hour nurse-led telephone service on 0845 4647. They also have a very comprehensive website, which includes a health encyclopaedia, answers to common health questions, self-help guide, and information on local healthcare services.

In general, students (from any country) are eligible for free treatment from the National Health Service (which includes all of the services listed above). If you are not sure about your eligibility for free treatment, or need further information about the documentation you will need to provide in order to receive it, see this page from the Department of Health.

All students are also eligible for help with health costs (such as prescription charges, dentists’ or opticians’ charges, and hospital travel costs) – for further information on how to claim such costs back or avoid paying them in the first place, see this page.

Dental Treatment

The College Dentist is Fabian and Associates, which is on the High Street near Lincoln. However, this is a private dental practice, which means that instead of paying relatively cheap NHS dental charges (which you can claim back using form HC1 – see above), you will pay a higher rate for private care. Instead, we recommend that you register with an NHS dentist if possible – we recommend the Oxford Brookes dental practice Studental (they accept Oxford University students as well as Brookes ones, although their website does say that they will prioritise Brookes students at busy times). You can search for other NHS dentists in Oxford here.

Opticians, Pharmacies etc

Lincoln College doesn’t have any special arrangements regarding any of these health services, but you can search for the details of nearby ones using this page. Don’t forget that you can get help with health costs by filling in form HC1.


Mental Health


Studying at University can be a stressful experience. This is especially the case if you are studying somewhere that is not your home country and you are a long way from the support of family and friends back home. We hope that the supportive atmosphere of both the MCR and the College in general will help carry most people through the difficulties – however, if things are really getting too much, there are a number of places you can go for help. There is no need to feel ashamed about seeking help for mental health problems – they affect a significant proportion of people, and are especially common in students, so you are in good company! The MCR welfare officers can provide a listening ear if you need someone to talk to, and there are various others in College who offer a similar function or who can advise on specific issues you may face. However, sometimes you may feel that it is easier to talk to someone not associated with College, and if this is the case, the following services may be able to help:

Oxford University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service is a professionally staffed confidential Student Counselling Service for assistance with personal, emotional, social and academic problems. The Service is available free to all undergraduate and graduate members of the University. The Counselling Service will not divulge information without prior permission to your parents or College. It is available throughout the year, with appointments generally being during working hours (9-5 Mon-Fri) and an initial assessment usually being available within five days, but it is obviously not intended to be used as a ‘crisis’ service. You can book an appointment by visiting their office at 11 Wellington Square, by email, or by phoning (01865 2)70300.


Nightline is a completely independent listening, support and information service run by students, for students. It aims to provide every student in Oxford with the opportunity to talk to someone in confidence. No contact is made with any outside agency, academic department or anyone else; you don’t even have to give your name.

You can phone nightline on (01865 2)70270 any time from 8pm to 8am. They are open from the beginning of 0th week until the end of 9th week. If you’re ringing from an Oxford (01865) number or a mobile, then they can phone you back if you want. Alternatively you can go to the office at 16 Wellington Square to talk over coffee and biscuits for as long as you like.


The Samaritans offer confidential emotional support, 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide. You don’t have to be suicidal to call, but can do so if you’re worried about something, feel upset or confused, or you just want to talk to someone. The Samaritans can be contacted by phone on 08457 90 90 90, by email, or you can drop into their office at 60 Magdalen Road, Cowley, Oxford OX4 1RB, where the usual opening hours are 8am – 10pm.

Oxford Friend

Oxford Friend is a lesbian and gay helpline providing free and completely confidential information, support and counselling services for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals in Oxford. You can email them, or phone them on (01865) 726893.

Other Mental Health Services

You may have a problem that cannot be solved simply by talking to a friend or counsellor, and if this is the case it is important to get the help you need. Mental health problems – such as excessive anxiety, depression, eating disorders, or problems with alcohol or other drugs – are very common and can be a source of serious illness, but most can be treated effectively. The first port of call if you think you have a mental health problem is your GP (see this page for details of how to contact the College GP, Dr Gancz), who will be able to arrange referral to specialist services if necessary. Any contact you have with Dr Gancz or with the mental health services will be kept confidential, so nobody from the College or University will be told about it unless you give your permission for this to happen.

There are also specialist support services available for people who struggle with particular issues relating to mental health, although these are not intended to replace treatment by a doctor if this is needed. A few of these services are listed below:

Alcohol and Drugs

Alcoholics Anonymous provides support to anyone affected by drinking (including those who do not have a drinking problem themselves but who are affected by the drinking of someone close to them). You can call them on 0845 769 7555.

Talk to Frank provides information and advice about drug and alcohol addiction, and details of local services. It is intended both for those affected and for their family and friends. You can call the Frank Helpline on 0800 776600.

Eating Disorders

Beat is a charity working to support people with eating disorders, and their families and friends. They provide information on eating disorders and how to ‘beat’ them, and have a helpline which you can call on 0845 634 1414. You can also email them, or write on their message boards.

Abuse and Violence

If you are the victim of abuse or violence and need immediate assistance, dial 999. If you wish to report a matter that is less urgent, contact the police at 0845 850 5505. Other services available to victims of abuse or violence that offer support and advice include the following:

Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre offer a free confidential support service for women and girls in Oxford who are the survivors of sexual abuse. You can call them on 01865 726295 (the lines are staffed on monday, thursday and sunday evenings, and they have a 24-hour answerphone service).

The National Domestic Violence Helpline provides support, help and information to women experiencing, or who have experienced, domestic violence. You can call their free 24-hour helpline on 0800 2000 247.